Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hometown Pride

I get so tired of people giving my hometown of East St. Louis Illinois a bad time. True, we aren't Beverly Hills by any stretch of the imagination, but home is where the heart is and right now my heart is proud of a hometown hero, Dawn Harper! I just want to give her kudo's on my little corner of the 'net and wish her the best as she brings home the Gold in the 100M Hurdles from the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. You Go Girl!

Here is what the Olympic page says about her:
Track & Field
Born: May 13, 1984 East St. Louis, IL
Hometown: East St. Louis, IL
Residence: Los Angeles, CA
Ht: 5'6"
Event(s): 100m hurdles
Olympic rookieDawn Harper will make her Olympic debut for the United States this summer in Beijing, where she will compete in the 100m hurdles. Harper, who is coached by Bob Kersee, competed in the 2004 Trials but was eliminated early.
Beijing bound...barelyHarper qualified for Beijing by placing third in the 100m with a time of 12.62 at Olympic Trials in Eugene. She crossed just .007 seconds in front of Nichole Denby for the final spot in the event. "I honestly did not know if I finished third or not," Harper told the Belleville News-Democrat. "I was able to get out of the (starting) blocks well, but then I hit the seventh and eighth hurdles and I saw my dream maybe ending. I just leaned at the finish line as far as I could."
Opposing interviewAfter losing out in her bid to defend her Olympic gold medal, Joanna Hayes surprisingly appeared at the post-race press conference and played the role of a reporter. Hayes picked up a microphone and asked Harper, Lolo Jones and Damu Cherry, "Do the three of you think you can go 1-2-3 at Olympics?" After each of them replied that they believed they could, Hayes said, "That's all I needed to hear," and wished them good luck before leaving.
Kersee connectionHarper is coached by Bob Kersee, the husband and former coach of six-time Olympic medalist Jackie Joyner-Kersee. Joyner-Kersee, who, like Harper, hails from East St. Louis, has stated her intention to get to Beijing to root on Harper.

No comments: