Tuesday, December 8, 2009

16 pounds gone and 306 Days to Go

Gee it been a long time since I've updated my blog so I'm back. I keep forgetting to write here, but I haven't forgotten to document my weight loss progress other places. Weight loss has been slow and painful, but I'm very much a believer in "slow and steady wins the race". Though the weight hasn't gone away quickly, I have clothes that no longer fit and will be properly passed on to others. I have lost 10% of my waist, and 5% of my overall weight. I seem to be better proportioned and clothes fit better so I have no complaints.

I do however have a complaint about pain. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) is a real and present danger. I've committed to doing what my trainer says do - he's the expert, what do I know, I'm the fat one. His exercise routine/weight routine I trust, is designed to make me more stable, more agile, stronger and building enough muscle mass to burn more calories while my body is at rest. OK I know the theory, I can talk a good game but I gotta get real! This program is quite painful. Thankfully it doesn't hurt immediately while I'm doing it or else I wouldn't go back PERIOD. But the next day, at about the same time as my workout session, I can vividly and painfully remember exactly what muscle group I worked out. So happens today is DOMS day, and I'm feeling it.

Yesterdays routine was a bit different than most. My trainer has no respect for a motor- he much prefers human energy to electrical energy. What do I mean? Have you ever used a motorized treadmill manually? Try it for a few minutes, then write me back. Well I'm used to this- he springs this one me every once in while but its truly an energy zapper for me. Next we head to the spin bike- lighter tension sitting, heavier tension standing. Why couldn't I sit long? Next was the stairmaster. All I can say is that I'm glad I could at least turn on the machine and use its motor but I really think I'd just rather walk a few flights in a highrise. I can see the value of my own pace with this exercise.

A few weight machines were employed next, to "give me a break", and if you think I believe that insert hilarious gales of laughter here. I think my session is going to be over, we've done lots of things including the leg curl and leg extension and the butt defining glute press when something happened which has ruined my day today. We played catchball while I had to do full situps. How do these instruments of torture work? Well... I have to lock my feet under a bench. Then I have to lay back and hold a 6 pound ball. When I sit-up, I throw the ball to my trainer. As I lay back down, he throws the ball to me. Repeat 20 times. Yeah right! I manage to do it, even though I'm really nervous that the ball is going to smack me in the head or that I would throw a complete air ball and then that sit up wouldn't count. Sweat pouring down I complete the task only to experience horrible pain today. My Coccyx (tail bone) is in rigor. If its not the bone, I was unaware there was a muscle there as I haven't felt it before today. Sitting in a chair is not an option, I stood up most of the day. Laying on my back is impossible, I will be sleeping on my side tonight. Misery is the only way to put it.

I have to be honest, I really don't want to complain all the the time about this 80 by 40 goal. I can see the progress in what I'm doing. I'm getting a better handle on the diet portion too. I have about 60 pounds left to lose, and the numbers guru comes out. I can and I will lose at least 1.37 pounds a week! I had my first salad Monday. I'll save that story for another blog post.

No comments: