Monday, September 21, 2009

How to work out 3 times a week and GAIN weight

Know that I am NOT happy. I haven't had the same attitude about going to the gym since I stepped on the scale last Wednesday and the weight increased instead of showing a marked decrease. Now let me say from the onset, I'm not interested in the theory that muscles weigh more than fat. That doesn't impress me, especially when I started this weight LOSS journey in July. Notice its called a WEIGHT LOSS journey, not an effort to turn fat into muscle! I can't understand how I can lose inches on my arms, my thighs, waist, abs, and bust and gain weight.

How am I supposed to lose 80 pounds at this rate? Am I never to eat again? I've already started eating food I'm less than impressed with in an effort to LOSE weight. I've already sacrificed the elixir of life - coke toward my goal, and how am I being rewarded? An increase in the number on the scale.

Since I last wrote about my 80 by 40 plan... I actually signed up for a personal trainer. He's great - I mean really great - (I don't know if he reads my blog or not but he really knows his stuff), but maybe I haven't adequately impressed upon him, my desire to LOSE weight. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful just for the time we've spent together, I feel my balance getting better, my stamina is increasing and while I haven't conquered the sweat thing, I can do the exercises and weights much better than when we started. I even walked 6.77 last Saturday, something I would have never dreamed of doing but I am NOT happy to see the scale increase.

Most of all I hate to fail, seeing the numbers on a scale increase, I feel failure in my weight LOSS endeavor. So, this is how one can work out 3+ times a week and still gain weight - this isn't supposed to happen.

Signed,

Frustrated and afraid of failure

2 comments:

thekeyeduppianostudio@yahoo.com said...

evaluate your goal.
Are you desiring a certain number on the scale or do you want to look good? No one knows your number unless you tell them. Everyone can SEE how you look.
I experienced something similar and then changed my goal from losing x number of pounds to wearing size x.
It was so fun to shop for clothes in smaller sizes. I don't give a rats behind about my scale number OR my FICO score. I have peace. Keep taking the right steps and you will be fit and fabulous by 40!

Eldred said...

As you build muscle, you will also raise your base metabolism. Which means, you'll burn more calories per day just by being alive. So, you'll probably see great numbers on the scale soon. Keep up the good work!